About Goodwill SEMI
Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Michigan, Inc. (Local)
Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Michigan began in 1957 when a group of concerned citizens approached the Adrian Chamber of Commerce (now Lenawee) about the number of individuals with disabilities in the community.
Arrangements were made to have the Detroit Goodwill sponsor a satellite operation in the former pickle factory on James Street. In 1960, Goodwill Industries became an independent operation.
In 1971, the Lenawee Association of Retarded Children (later Citizens) established an activities program for the developmentally disabled.
On January 1,1974, the LARC Activity Center was incorporated and in April of 1975 they merged with Goodwill Industries to become known as Goodwill-LARC.
In 1999, Goodwill LARC’s Board of Directors unanimously supported a name change back to Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Michigan, Inc.
From its early beginnings of seeking donations to process and offer for sale, to the current operation of four stores in Adrian, Monroe, Lambertville and Saline, doing industrial work for local industries and providing a wide range of training and employment services, Goodwill Industries continues to assist persons with disabilities and other barriers to employment. In serving more than 2,000 people annually, Goodwill always seeks collaboration where possible, and has established several strong relationships with local government authorities, school systems, non-profit organizations and businesses.
Since 1976, Goodwill’s services have been certified by CARF and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. Goodwill Industries is run by a 17-member Board of Directors under the direction of a President/CEO, and a staff of more than 160 employees.